Just a harmless indulgence - or a risk to your health?
These top five facts speak volumes...
- The International Agency for Research on Cancer has recently classified sunbeds as a Class 1 cancer-causing agent. Sunbeds are now considered in the same league as smoking, arsenic and asbestos!
- The risk of melanoma increases by 75% when use of sunbeds starts before the age of 30.
- The intensity of UV rays in some sunbeds can be more than 10 times stronger than the midday sun.
- You don't need to go on a sunbed or sunbathe to get enough Vitamin D. For most people, just going about their daily lives will mean they get enough Vitamin D from sun exposure - and a good diet (including dairy products, cereal and fish) will help.
- It is a myth that sunbed use before going out in the sun builds a good natural defence to the sun's rays. Having a tan from a sunbed has been estimated to give the same protective effect as using a sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of only 2-3.
If you'd like to know more, you can head on over to the World Health Organisation website which has factsheets and more detailed booklets on the subject.